- About ISC
- Research Thrusts
- Research Laboratories
- Affiliated National Research Centers
Quantitative Dependability Modeling of Smart Grids with Consideration of Cyber-Physical Interdependencies
S. Sedigh Sarvestani (email@example.com), K. Marashi, and A. R. Hurson
Dept. of Education; Dept. of Transportation; Intelligent Systems Center (Missouri S&T); Center for Infrastructure Engineering Studies (Missouri S&T); IntelliSpeak, LLC
This research seeks to facilitate analysis of the reliability and survivability achieved by smart grids. To this end, we have proposed an analytical reliability model and a survivability analysis method that capture the effect of impairments originating from both physical and cyber components, as well as the effect of cyber-physical interdependencies among these components. We investigate the use of simulation-based fault injection to instantiate the model with failure data. We aim to categorize and quantify dependencies in the smart grid and analyze the impact on reliability of introducing additional interdependencies. A pending case study investigates the effect of physical and cyber improvements on overall reliability of the smart grid, and demonstrates that flawed cyber infrastructure can result in lower reliability than that of a conventional power grid with less advanced control. Additional detail on the project is available at web.mst.edu/~sendecomp
- M. Woodard, S. Sedigh Sarvestani, and A. R. Hurson. Survivability evaluation and importance analysis for complex networked systems. IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering, under review.
- K. Marashi, S. Sedigh Sarvestani, and A. R. Hurson. Consideration of cyber-physical interdependencies in reliability modeling of smart grids. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Computing, 2017, to appear.
- N. Jarus, S. Sedigh Sarvestani, and A. R. Hurson. Models, metamodels, and model transformation for cyber-physical systems. In Proceedings of the 7th International Green and Sustainable Computing Conference, Hangzhou, China, Nov. 2016.
- I. Alobaidi, S. Sedigh Sarvestani, and A. R. Hurson. Survivability analysis and recovery support for smart grids. In Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Resilient Cyber Systems, Chicago, USA, Aug. 2016, winner of Best Paper Award.
- K. Marashi, S. Sedigh Sarvestani, and A. R. Hurson. Quantification and analysis of interdependency in cyber-physical systems. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Reliability and Security Aspects for Critical Infrastructure (ReSA4CI 2016), in conjunction with the 46th IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2016), Toulouse, France, June 2016.